- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A Distant View of Cader Idris
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 235mm,
- image length 298mm
- paper watermarked with a Fleur de lis design
- sheet, verso
- “No 15 a distant view of Cader Idris / July the 3rd 1777 / drawn on the spot by Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Bury
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP106) and they gave it in 1921 to their niece Dorothea, Lady Bunbury (b.1888, née Merivale; see also 247), who sold it on 10 May 1946 to Agnew’s (no.4613) for £30 with 247. On 12 July 1946 Agnew’s sold it for £45 less £2 5s. for services to Sir John Heathcoat Amory, Bt (1894–1972), in whose collection it still was in 1962, but it is now untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Sir John Heathcoat Amory (1894 - 1972), 12 July 1946, GBP 45, less £2.5s for services
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 10 May 1946, GBP 30, no.4613
Acquired with FT247
- Lady Dorothy Bunbury (1888), 1921
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP106
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP106
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Loan Exhibition: English Watercolours and Drawings from Local Collections, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1949, no. 15
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 42
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 144
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.