- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View at Grasmere
- No date
- Watercolour, gum, scratching out
- image height 320mm,
- image length 435mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne” and “F.Towne / delt”
- “A View in Grasmere, in Westmorland / by / Francis Towne / no.39 Queen Anne Street West / Cavendish Square”
- from the original frame
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Sotheby’s records (image)
Sold at Sotheby’s on 17 November 1983 for £1,000, and again at Sotheby’s on 16 July 1987 lot 89 for £8,000.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 16 July 1987, GBP 8000
- Sotheby's, London, London, 16 July 1987, lot 89
- Private Collection, 17 November 1983, GBP 1000
- Sotheby's, London, London, 17 November 1983
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 98 as 'Grasmere, in a gold frame and glass'
- The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1809, no. 383 as 'View at Grasmere, in Westmoreland'
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 136
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.