- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View at Pynes
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, brown wash
- image height 271mm,
- image length 372mm
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "J WHATMAN"
- sheet, recto, lower left
- "F.Towne. 1778."
- artist's mount, verso
- "A View at Pines the seat of Sir Stafford Northcote Bart. near Exeter / Francis Towne 1778"
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Untraced until bought by Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.450) on 27 June 1914, lot 201, for £1 14s., among some 1770s Italian landscape drawings by John Downman. Oppé’s descendants sold the drawing in 1996 with the rest of Paul Oppé’s collection to its present owner, the Tate Gallery, London (T08527).
- Exhibition History
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 35
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, Royal Academy, 1958, no. 102
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 147
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 105
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 156
- 1 Quoted Gray 1995, p.186.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.