- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View by Moonlight
- No date
- Pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 159mm,
- image length 197mm
- on paper watermarked with an ornamented fleur-de-lis and a Whatman cypher
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne. / delt 1792”
- artist's mount, verso
- “a View by Moonlight / in the Bunhay at Exeter / Francis Towne delt”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Bower 1998; Museum records (image)
Untraced until bought by Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.507) at Foster’s on 9 March 1916 and sold by his descendants in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the present owner, the Tate Gallery (T08572).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1996, T08572
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), 9 March 1916, no.507
- Foster's auctioneers (1883 - 1940), 27 July 1910
Sold as a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793 and a drawing by an unidentified pupil.
- Peter Bower, 'Drawing Paper in the 18th and 19th centuries: Papers from the Opp_ Collection, part 2', The Quarterly Journal of the British Association of Paper Historians: [?] London, 1998, p. 19
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 146
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 125
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 128
- 1 Oppé 1920, p.125.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.