- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View coming from the Belvedere to Powderham Castle
- From the Belvedere to Powderham
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 533mm,
- image length 737mm
- mounted by the artist[?]
- artist's mount, verso
- “From the Belvedere to Powderham, 1778”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Fine Art Society records; Witt Library (image)
Commissioned by William, 2nd Viscount Courtenay (1742–1788), and offered for sale by his son William, 3rd Viscount Courtenay, at Christie’s on 15 February 1817, lot 9, as 'A view coming from the Belvedere to Powderham Castle' to Farthing. It is thereafter untraced until sold at Sotheby’s on 31 October 1945 to the Fine Art Society (perhaps for £156 10s.). On 2 October 1946 the Fine Art Society (no.4161) sold it for £157 10s. to R. Skinner, who was probably still the owner in 1962, as then Bury stated that it was in a “private collection” and a note in Christie’s copy of this book states “Skinner”. It is untraced after 1962.
- Associated People & Organisations
- R. Skinner, 2 October 1946
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 31 October 1945, GBP 156 10s, no.4161
- Sotheby's, London, London, 31 October 1945
- Farthing, 15 February 1817
- Christie's, London, London, 15 February 1817, lot 9
Listed as 'A view coming from the Belvedere to Powderham Castle'
- 3rd Viscount William Courtenay (1768 - 1835), Exminster, Devon, 1788
- 2nd Viscount William Courtenay (1742 - 1788), Exminster, Devon, 1778
- Exhibition History
- Autumn Exhibition of Early English Water-Colours and Drawings (2nd ed), Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 37 as 'From the Belvedere to Powderham, 1778'
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 27, 69
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.