- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View going up from the Lake in Peamore Park
- Pencil, pen and ink, grey wash
- image width 273mm,
- image length 425mm
- "A View Going up from the Lake in Peamore Park. Sept.26th. 1775"and numbered "61"
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Notebooks and papers of Paul Oppé (1878-1957), private collection
Museum's own information
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White (1744–1825) of Exeter, on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters, Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP177). Judith Merivale retained it until at least 1945, in which year it was almost certainly sold to Squire Gallery, as Bernard Milling sold it on 24 July 1945 to the Fine Art Society (no.4125). On 30 May 1947 (16 May according to Davis’s records) it was sold by the Fine Art Society for £19 19s. to Gilbert Davis (1899–1983), whose collection was bought by the current owner, the Huntington Library, California (59.55.1270).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Gilbert Davis (1899 - 1983)
- The Fine Art Society, London
- Huntington Library, San Marino, California
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Squire Gallery
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- Winter Exhibition of Early English Watercolours and Drawings, Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 129
- Autumn Exhibition of Early English Water-Colours and Drawings (2nd ed), Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 154
- Exhibition of Early English Watercolours and Drawings, Fine Art Society, May 1946, no. 39
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.