- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View in the Castle at Ludlow
- Ludlow Castle
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 298mm,
- image length 484mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne. delt 1777 No.45”
- sheet, verso
- “A View in the Castle at Ludlow, drawn by Francis Towne, 1777 [“1777” scratched out and reinserted], No.45”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Tate catalogue (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and on 24 May 1921 she sold it to Agnew’s (no.9959) for £15 for onward sale the same day (for £350 with FT072, FT074, FT086, FT111, FT237, FT260, FT366, FT469, FT504) to the present owner, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (Inv 90'21).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham, 24 May 1921, GBP 350, Inv 90'21
Acquired with FT072, FT074, FT086, FT111, FT237, FT260, FT366, FT469, FT504
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 24 May 1921, GBP 15, no.9959
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 39 or 40 as 'Ludlow Castle'
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 10
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 134
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.