- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View in the Road near Llangollen
- Banks of the Dee
- Pen and ink, grey and blue washes
- image height 241mm,
- image length 305mm
- sheet, verso
- “No38 July 17th 1777 / A View on the Road / Drawn on the spot by Francis Towne” and in pencil, “near Llangollen”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Bonham’s website (accessed 15 June 2015)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP120) and they gave it in 1927 to Nina and Anna Nevins (Anna Nevins of Shaw Farm, Waterford, Connecticut, died unmarried in 1959; her sister was Marian Nevins McDowell [1856/1857–1956]; Anna Nevins’s heir, Lucretia Bingham, inherited no drawings by Towne; the Barton Place catalogue suggests that the Nevinses possessed one further, unidentified work, framed, although possibly this is a reference to the Llangollen sketch). It is untraced from that point until being offered for sale at Bonham’s in Los Angeles, USA, as the property of a private collection in Virginia, USA, on 29 June 2015, lot 7144.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 29 June 2015
- Bonham's, Los Angeles, California, 29 June 2015, lot 7144
- Private Collection, Virginia, USA
- Nina Nevins, Waterford, Connecticut, 1927
- Anna Nevins (? - 1959), Waterford, Connecticut, 1927
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP120
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP120
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 27, 28, 29 or 43 as 'Banks of the Dee'
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 108
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.