- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View in Ugbrooke Park
- ca. 1773
- Pencil, pen and grey and black inks, grey wash
- image width 284mm,
- image length 450mm
- paper with vertical crease down centre, watermark of coronet above "GR"
- "23 / A View in Ugbrooke Park"
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Ugbrooke Park
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP173). Judith Merivale attempted to sell the drawing at Squire Gallery in 1938—unsuccessfully, as it is marked “returned Oct 39” in the Barton Place catalogue. At some point subsequently it was acquired by Alan Douglas Pilkington (1890–1973), who gave or bequeathed it to the present owner, Eton College, Windsor
- Associated People & Organisations
- Eton College
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Alan Douglas Pilkington (1890 - 1973)
- Squire Gallery
- James White (1744 - 1825)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.