- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View looking towards Canonteign
- A View looking towards Canon-Teign / going from Chudleigh by the banks of the riverside
- Pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 201mm,
- image length 159mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne delt. 1785”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View looking towards Canon-Teign / going from Chudleigh by the banks of the riverside / Francis Towne / 1785”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844). Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP202). In August 1936 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £6 6s. with 434. It was subsequently acquired by poet, scholar, and novelist E. H. W. Meyerstein (1888/1889–1952), who bequeathed it to its present owner, the British Museum (19220.127.116.11).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1953, 1953,0411.33
- E. H. W. Meyerstein (1888/89 - 1952)
- Squire Gallery, London, August 1936, GBP 6.6s
Acquired with FT434
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP202
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP202
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. [?] No.1 or No.2
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 128
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.