- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View near Exwell looking towards Topsham
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 457mm,
- image length 660mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne delt 1779”
- sheet, verso
- “A view taken near Exwell looking towards Topsham drawn by Francis Towne, 1779”
- “D&C Blauw”
- paper watermark is datable to ca.1769
- Object Type
Commissioned by William, 2nd Viscount Courtenay (1742–1788), and offered for sale by his son William, 3rd Viscount Courtenay, at Christie’s on 15 February 1817, lot 7, as Ditto [i.e. View] near Exwell looking towards Topsham to Farthing. It is thereafter untraced until sold at Sotheby’s on 31 October 1945 (see also 139) to the Fine Art Society (no.4162), from whom it was bought on 2 October 1946 for £157 10s. by Sir William Worsley, Bt (1890–1973). On 21 December 1967 Worsley sold it to Agnew’s (no.7681) with FT432, FT736, FT881b (no.0903), and on the same day Agnew’s sold it to a collector. In 1994 it was on sale at Spink & Son, although it was purchased by them only on 22 July 1997. It was offered for sale at Christie’s on 21 November 2002, lot 28, and was in a UK private collection in 2005, when exhibited by John Spink (but not for sale).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Christie's, London, London, 21 November 2002, lot 28
- Spink & Son, London, London, 1994
Offered for sale, although it was purchased by Spink & Sons only on 22 July 1997
- Private Collection, 21 December 1967
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 21 December 1967, no.7681
Acquired with FT432, FT736, FT881b
- Sir William Worsley (1890 - 1973), 2 October 1946, GBP 157 10s
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 31 October 1945, no.4162
- Sotheby's, London, London, 31 October 1945
- Farthing, 15 February 1817
- Christie's, London, London, 15 February 1817, lot 7
Listed as 'Ditto [i.e. View] near Exwell looking towards Topsham'
- 3rd Viscount William Courtenay (1768 - 1835), Exminster, Devon, 1788
- 2nd Viscount William Courtenay (1742 - 1788), Exminster, Devon, 1769
- Exhibition History
- Watercolours by Francis Towne, City Art Gallery, 1950, no. 3
- Francis Towne and his Friends, John Spink at Colnaghi, 2005, no. 2
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 69, 141
- Sir William Worsley, Early English Water-Colours at Hovingham Hall: 1963, p. 10
- 1 Oppé 1925, p.76.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.