- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of a Sepulchre
- Pencil (?), pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 321mm,
- image length 470mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne delt 1786”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No6 / Rome / A View of a Sepulchre / on the left hand side of the road / going out at the port of Pia, to / Ponte Lamentani. / drawn on the spot / by / Francis Towne / 1786”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; 1997 Spink-Leger catalogue (image)
Probably commissioned by Thomas Snow of Cleve (1748–1832), but perhaps by Ann Fortescue, née Sanders (1755–1815), of Buckland House. Thereafter untraced until sold by Mrs J. Leahy at Sotheby’s on 20 April 1972, lot 32, for £1,500 to Colnaghi (E179), who bought it on behalf of a private collector. According to the Spink archive it was in a US private collection in 1977; on 12 March 1997 it was bought by Spink, who sold it at Christie’s on 20 November 2003, lot 42, for £23,900. It was on sale with Lowell Libson in 2006.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Lowell Libson, London, 2006
- Christie's, London, London, 20 November 2003, lot 42
- Spink & Son, London, London, 12 March 1977
According to the Spink archive it was in a US private collection in 1977.
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, London, 20 April 1972, GBP 1500, E179
Bought on behalf of a private collector
- Sotheby's, London, London, 20 April 1972, lot 32
- Mrs J. Leahy
- Ann Fortescue (née Sanders) (1755 - 1815), Beaworthy
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.