- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of a Tree at Staplehill Farm
- Pen and ink, grey wash
- image width 495mm,
- image length 445mm
- sheet, verso
- “A View of a tree at Staple Hill Farm in the parish of Ilsington, belonging to the Right Hon. Lord Clifford, drawn on the spot by Francis Towne, August 24th, 1773”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Witt Library (image); 1951 Exeter catalogue
Commissioned by Hugh, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726–1783), and descended to the present owner.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- [?] Hugh Clifford, 4th Baron Clifford of Chudleigh (1726 - 1783), Chudleigh, Devon, 1773
- Exhibition History
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 65
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 140
- Benjamin Donn, 'A Map of the County of Devon', Benjamin Donn: A Commemorative Volume, Devon and Cornwall Record Society and The University of Exeter: Exeter, 1965, plate 6b
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.