- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Derwent Water
- ca. 1786/08
- Pen and brown ink, watercolour, gum
- image height 207mm,
- image length 227mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne. delt / 1786”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Morning sun from the left hand / A view of Keswick Lake looking towards the head / drawn on the spot by Francis Towne”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and and bequeathed it to her sister Frances Ann Laura Solly (b.1858). Later it was owned by Agnes Lupton (1874–1950) and Norman Darnton Lupton (1875–1953) of Hyde Crook, Dorchester, Dorset, who bequeathed it to the current owner, owner, Leeds City Art Gallery (13.207/53).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds, 1953, 13.207/53
- Norman Darnton Lupton (1875 - 1953)
- Agnes Lupton (1874 - 1950), 1923
- Frances Ann Laura Solly (1858 - alive in 1932), 1923
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 74 as 'A View of Keswick Lake'
- unidentified exhibition, 1949, no. 48
- An Exhibition of English Drawings and Water Colours from British Collections, National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1962, no. 80
- The Lupton Collection, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1972, no. 78
- The Discovery of the Lake District, Victoria & Albert Museum, 1984, no. 93
- Derwentwater: Vale of Elysium, Wordsworth Museum, 1986, no. 96
- Still Waters... Watercolours from Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1995, no. 13
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 103, 132
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Arts Calendar: A quarterly review issued by the Leeds City Art Gallery & Temple Newsham House, No. 25: Leeds, 1953, p. 8
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, p. 11
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 127
- 1 S. Middiman(?) after T. Smith, Derwent Water, ca. 1784 (Cumbria County Council Local Studies Libraries and Record Offices).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.