- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Exeter
- ca. 1770 - 1778
- Pen and grey and brown inks, watercolour
- image height 203mm,
- image length 324mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- "Francis Towne / delt delt"
- the signature gone over in thick dark brown ink
- sheet, verso
- indistinct (obscured by the artist's mount)
- artist's mount, verso
- "A View of Exeter / by / Francis Towne / drawn on the spot"
- in grey ink
- Object Type
Untraced until sold by Dr F. A. Turk (1911–1996) at Sotheby’s on 21 February 1945 for £36 to Colnaghi, from whom it was bought by the current owner, the Victoria and Albert Museum (P2-1945).
- Associated People & Organisations
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London
- Sotheby's, London
- Dr F. A. Turk (1911 - 1996)
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- Richard Stephens, 'New Materials for Francis Towne's Biography', The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs, No. 1121, Burlington Magazine Publications Ltd: London, 1996, pp. 503, 505
- 1 Alexander Jenkins, The History and Description of the City of Exeter and its Environs, Ancient and Modern, Civil and Ecclesiastical: Exeter, 1806, p.215
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.