- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Mendrisio
- A View of Mendrisio Eight Miles from Como
- ca. 1781/08/24
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, grey/brown wash
- image height 284mm,
- image length 463mm
- paper watermarked with a Strasburg bend and lily and "C&I HONIG"
- sheet, verso
- “August the 24th 1781 / Francis Towne / No1 A View of the Lake of Lugano taken from Mendris [above, in pencil: “Mendris”] 8 miles from Como / morning light coming from the right hand”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP45). On 31 March 1939 Judith Merivale sold it for £8 to Agnew’s (no.2657), where it was sold on the same day to Paul Oppé on behalf of the present owner, the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa (4471; Oppé 47), for £37 10s. (with two other drawings bought for Ottawa by Paul Oppé).
- Associated People & Organisations
- National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 31 March 1939, no. 4471
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 31 March 1939, GBP 37.10, Oppé 47
Acquired on behalf of the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 31 March 1939, GBP 8, no. 2657
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP45
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP45
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.