- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Oakhampton Castle and Town
- Okehampton Castle
- Pencil, pen and black ink, grey wash
- image height 200mm,
- image length 320mm
- mounted by the artist (now detached)
- artist's mount, recto
- “F Towne delt. / 1772 / A VIEW OF OAKHAMPTON CASTLE AND TOWN TAKEN IN [indistinct, but very probably “THE PARK”]”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View of Oakhampton Castle and Town / in the County of Devon ./ drawn on the spot June 23rd. 1772 / by Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945) inherited the drawing in May 1915 (no BP number was allocated) and by April 1924 it was in the possession of “Miss Urmson 23 Leckford Road. Oxford” (also FT031), presumably Barbara Edith Urmson (b.1886; her sister was Claudia Veronica Urmson [1890–1909]), the daughter of Edith Urmson (1858/1859–1930; née Gale, m.1883 Francis Birley Urmson, who was dead in 1909) of 23 Leckford Road, Oxford (her death notice is The Times, 27 March 1930). It is thereafter untraced until offered for sale by D. J. Fountaine at Sotheby’s, 30th November 1978, lot 113, and again at Sotheby’s on 26th July 1979, when it was bought by Martyn Gregory Fine Art for £360. Martyn Gregory Fine Art sold the drawing in January 1982 to its present owners, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery (1981P82).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Birmingham
- D. J. Fountaine
- Martyn Gregory, London
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Sotheby's, London
- Barbara Edith Urmson (1886)
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 6 as 'Okehampton Castle'
- [?] Loan Exhibition of Works by Early Devon Painters Born Before the Year 1800, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1932, no. 71 as 'Okehampton Castle (Indian Ink) 7 1/2 x 12 1/2ins, lent by Miss Merivale'
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 1
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.