- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Part of Roche Rock
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey and brown inks, watercolour
- image height 236mm,
- image length 364mm
- paper has a vertical crease mark down the centre and is watermarked with a coronet and fleur-de-lis design
- mounted by the artist, with traces of gum at the verso bottom edge (as if it was once stuck into a portfolio)
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt 1796”
- in thick brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View of part of Roch Rock, / in the County of Cornwall / Drawn by Francis Towne. / Mounted 1796, / in Exeter”
- in thick brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744-1825) on whose death it passed to the residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1745-1844) and his successors. Merivale's grand-daughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853-1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860-1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP211). In February 1938 Judith Merivale sold it through Squire Gallery for 4.14s.4d. Sir Robert Clermont Witt (1872-1952; see also 155, 734) bought the drawing from Squire, and bequeathed it to the present owner, the Courtauld Institute of Art (Witt 1758).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Courtauld Gallery, London, London, 1952, D.1952.RW.1758
- Sir Robert Clermont Witt, February 1938
- Squire Gallery, London, February 1938, GBP 4.14s.4d
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP211
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP211
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.