- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Rocca di Papa
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image height 248mm,
- image length 387mm
- sheet, verso
- “No50 A view of Rocca del Papa / Francis Towne / 1781”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Untraced until 1936 when it was given by Sir Michael Ernest Sadler (1861–1943) to the present owner, Leeds City Art Gallery (Acc. no.26/36). Without there being any direct evidence, this has the character of the relatively modest drawings that Bernard Milling of Squire Gallery bought from Judith Merivale, and certainly its freshness argues against a long chain of ownership.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds, 1936, no.26/36
- Sir Michael Ernest Sadler (1861 - 1943)
- Exhibition History
- Watercolours and Drawings from the City Art Gallery, Leeds, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1960, no. 48
- Sadler Exhibition, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1962, no. 95
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 131
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, p. 10
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.