- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Rocca di Papa with Part of the Convent
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum, scratching out
- image height 387mm,
- image length 504mm
- mounted by the artist, the mount watermarked "J WHATMAN 1794"
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / 1781”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Italy / No52 / A View of Rocca del Papa / with part of the Convent, the outline drawn on the / Spot / 1781[in dark brown ink, over scratched-out “1781, & tinted / Oct 10th. 180 . . . by”] Francis Towne”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn,3.13).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1816, Nn,3.13
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 203
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 127-128
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 121
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 112
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.