- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of the Bay of Naples with the Island of Capri
- Pencil, watercolour, mounted by the artist
- image height 394mm,
- image length 537mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne. / delt. 1789”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A view of the Bay of Naples with the Island of Caprea”
- signed, and dated
- Object Type
Probably commissioned by John Short of Bickham on 6 February 1788 for 8 guineas, and thereafter untraced until offered by the executors of the Montague Meyer family collection at Christie’s on 18 June 1980, lot 68b, where it did not sell, but was sold at Christie’s on 17 November 1981, lot 107, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London, London, 17 November 1981, lot 107
- Christie's, London, London, 18 June 1980, lot 68b
- Montague Meyer ( - 1961), June 1980
- [?] John Jeffrey Short (1753 - 1801), Bickham, Minehead, Somerset, 6 February 1788, GBP 8 guineas
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.