Description
Creator
Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
Title(s)
  • A View of the Junction of the Two Rhines
Date
1789
Medium
Pencil, watercolour
Dimensions
  • image height 403mm,
  • image length 554mm
Mount
mounted by the artist
Inscription
  • sheet, recto
  • signed and twice dated “1789”
Inscription
  • artist's mount, verso
  • “A View of the Junction of the two Rhynes taken between Tusis and Coire in the Grisons”
  • and dated
Object Type
Watercolour

Collection
Versions
Two Rhines, Untraced
Catalogue Number
FT559
Description Sources
Christie's records (image)

Provenance

This was commissioned by John Short of Bickham on 6 February 1788. It was offered for sale by the executors of the Montague Meyer family collection at Christie’s on 18 June 1980, lot 68c, where it did not sell, but was sold at Christie’s on 17 November 1981, lot 108, for £4,200 to Both (perhaps a pseudonym?), whereafter it is untraced.

Associated People & Organisations

Untraced
Christie's, London, London, 17 November 1981, GBP 4200, lot 108
Sold to Both (perhaps a pseudonym?), whereafter it is untraced.
Christie's, London, London, 18 June 1980, lot 68c
Unsold
Montague Meyer ( - 1961), June 1980
John Jeffrey Short (1753 - 1801), Bickham, Minehead, Somerset, 6 February 1788
Bibliography
William Coxe, Travels in Switzerland in a Series of Letters to William Melmouth Esq, T. Cadell: London, 1789, vol 3, pp. 182-183

Comment

This is a view of Reichenau, based on FT364. Cozens also drew the view.1 According to Oppé’s note (see FT364), this drawing was commissioned by John Short of Bickham on 6 February 1788, and as it was put on sale in 1980 with another (FT558) commissioned by Short, a third, FT586, may also have been commissioned by him.

William Coxe described the scene thus:

Reichenau is situated upon the conflux of the two branches which form the Rhine. The lower branch is the same which I followed during the greatest part of its course from Splugen; the upper branch rises near the mountain of St.Gothard, and flows through the valley of Spra Selva. The castle, or house of Mr Buol [the Austrian envoy], is placed in a most romantic situation upon a small eminence, a little above the junction, and the garden advances to the Rhine. At this place there are two bridges, which were built by the nephew of Grubenman, that deserve particular notice; one, which is thrown across the lower branch of the Rhine, measured thirty-five paces, or about a hundred and five feet. The second is built across the Rhine below the point of union, and forms a most beautiful object. It is a wooden bridge of a single arch, covered like that of Shaffhausen, and constructed upon the same plan.2
by Richard Stephens

Footnotes

  1. 1 J. M. W. Turner and T. Girtin after J. R. Cozens, Reichenau, (?)1790s (www.tate.org.uk).
  2. 2 Coxe 1789, vol.3, pp.182–83.

Revisions & Feedback

The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.

Please help us to improve this catalogue


If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.