- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of the Junction of the Two Rhines
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 403mm,
- image length 554mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto
- signed and twice dated “1789”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View of the Junction of the two Rhynes taken between Tusis and Coire in the Grisons”
- and dated
- Object Type
- Two Rhines
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
This was commissioned by John Short of Bickham on 6 February 1788. It was offered for sale by the executors of the Montague Meyer family collection at Christie’s on 18 June 1980, lot 68c, where it did not sell, but was sold at Christie’s on 17 November 1981, lot 108, for £4,200 to Both (perhaps a pseudonym?), whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London, London, 17 November 1981, GBP 4200, lot 108
Sold to Both (perhaps a pseudonym?), whereafter it is untraced.
- Christie's, London, London, 18 June 1980, lot 68c
- Montague Meyer ( - 1961), June 1980
- John Jeffrey Short (1753 - 1801), Bickham, Minehead, Somerset, 6 February 1788
- William Coxe, Travels in Switzerland in a Series of Letters to William Melmouth Esq, T. Cadell: London, 1789, vol 3, pp. 182-183
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.