- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View of Tivoli
- View of Tivoli, from the neighbouring hills
- Pencil, pen and black and grey inks, watercolour
- image height 387mm,
- image length 504mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “No31 / Francis Towne delt / 1781”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No31 Italy / A View of Tivoli drawn on the Spot / May 1781 Francis Towne”
- in dark brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1818 to the present owner, the British Museum (Nn,3.9).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum, London, 1818, Nn,3.9
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 203
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 80, 111, 127
- 1 Thomas Jones, Tivoli, 1777 (Sumner & Smith 2003); Jacob More, Tivoli, late 1770s? (Andrew 1993).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.