- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View on the Banks of the Tiber
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 211mm,
- image length 543mm
- two joined sheets of laid paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto
- lower right “Francis Towne delt No.2 / Octr 1780”
- in brown ink
- sheet, verso
- on one sheet: “on the Tiber / Rome / No2 Octr [?] / 1780 / Francis Towne” on the other sheet: “Rome / A View on the Tiber / No.2 / Francis Towne / 1780”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No2. Rome / A View on the Banks of the Tyber drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne Octr 1780”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.12).
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 152 as 'Banks of the Tyber'
- British Artists in Rome 1700-1800, Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood House, 1974, no. 139
- British Watercolours A Golden Age 1750-1850, J.B. Speed Art Museum, 1977, no. 19
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 75, 124
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 120
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 111
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 55
- Iolo Aneurin Williams, Early English Watercolours, and some cognate drawings by artists not later than 1785, Connoisseur: London, 1952, p. 88
Washes from Towne’s sky continue from the paper onto the top-right edge of the mount, indicating that Towne finished the drawing after he had mounted it.
- 1 T. Girtin and J. M. W. Turner after J. R. Cozens: View on the Tiber North of Rome, 1790s? (www.tate.org.uk); Nicholas-Didier Boguet: View on the Tiber North of Rome, 1783 (Hornsby 2002).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.