- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View on the Banks of the Tiber at Rome
- ca. 1780
- Oil on canvas
- canvas height 498mm,
- canvas width 743mm
- frame, verso, label
- “View on Tiber Mr. Towne” and “View on Tiber / (landscape) by Towne”,
- both inscribed by unidentified contemporary hands
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- On the Banks of the Tiber near Ponte Molle, British Museum
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It has descended through the Merivale family to the current owner.
- Associated People & Organisations
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1792, no. 197 as 'A View on the Banks of the Tiber at Rome'
- [?] Works of British artists placed in the Gallery of the British Institution, Pall-Mall for exhibition and Sale, British Institution, 1810, no. 155 as 'A view on the banks of the Tiber, near Ponte Molle, Rome, measuring 711 x 940mm'
- 1 Transcript at Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.