- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A View taken above Lausanne looking over Lake Geneva
- Pencil, pen and ink, watercolour, gum
- image width 242mm,
- image length 905mm
- three sheets
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “FTowne / delt. No.11”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.11 A View taken above the Town of Lausanne / looking over the Lakes of Geneva, towards / Mount Jura with the Towns of Morgues & / St Prex, by Francis Towne / Septr 10th 1781 / Evening sun coming over mount Jura”
- Object Type
Untraced until sold on 1 or 2 November 1927 at Sotheby’s, where it was bought by Alexander Joseph Finberg (1866–1939) for £12 10s. It was acquired on 1 July 1928 by the present owner, the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (no.1483), together with a watercolour by J. M. W. Turner, for £235 from Finberg’s Cotswold Gallery, 59 Frith Street, London.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Fitzwilliam Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, 1 July 1928, GBP 235, PDP 1483
Acquired along with a watercolour by J. M. W. Turner
- Cotswold Gallery, London, 1928
- Alexander Joseph Finberg (1866 - 1939), 1 November 1927, GBP 12 10s
- Sotheby's, London, London, 1 November 1927
- Exhibition History
- 6th Annual Exhibition of Watercolours, Cotswold Gallery, 1928, no. 13
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 96, 129-130
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 98
- William Coxe, Travels in Switzerland in a Series of Letters to William Melmouth Esq, T. Cadell: London, 1789, vol. 2, pp. 65-66
- 1 Coxe 1789, vol.2, pp.65–66.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.