- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- A Waterfall by the Side of Lake Geneva
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image height 210mm,
- image length 156mm
- "No.56 / A waterfall by the side of the Lake of / Geneva 3 miles from Vivey / Francis Towne / Septr.23, light from the left hand"
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP88). Judith Merivale sold it in 1935 to Sir Montagu Montagu-Pollock (1864–1938), whose son Sir William Montagu-Pollock (1903–1993) sold it at Sotheby’s on 18 March 1964, lot 27, where it was bought by Hazlitt Gooden & Fox for £500 on behalf of the present owner, the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter (126/1964).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery, Exeter, 18 March 1964, 126/1964
- Hazlitt Gooden & Fox Ltd, 18 March 1964, GBP 500
Acquired on behalf of the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter
- Sotheby's, London, London, 18 March 1964, lot 27
- Sir William Montagu-Pollock (1903 - 1993)
- Sir Montagu Montagu-Pollock (1864 - 1938), 1935
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP88
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP88
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Paintings and Drawings by Francis Towne and John White Abbott in the collection of Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1971, no. 11
- Francis Towne & John White Abbott: Paintings and Watercolours from the Exeter Museums and Art Gallery, Marble Hill House, 1973, no. 11
- Amal Asfour & Paul Williamson, 'William Jackson and John Bampfylde on the Teign', Apollo, No. 426, Apollo Magazine Ltd: London, 1997, p. 39
- Jane C. Baker, Catalogue of Oil Paintings, Watercolours, Drawings and Sculpture, Exeter Museums: Exeter, 1978, p. 118
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.