- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Abbey Ruins
- No date
- image height 191mm,
- image width 298mm
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- 1951 Exeter catalogue; Agnew's records
Signed. Exhibit 63 in the 1951 Exeter exhibition, lent by Canon Francis Henry Dumville Smythe (1872/1873–1966). Watercolour, 7.5 x 11.75 in. (191 x 298 mm) (exhibition catalogue). This is perhaps the “Cathedral” by “Towne” that Smythe sold at Christie’s on 13 March 1961, lot 162 (with two other drawings: a waterfall and a thatcher), to Agnew’s, who later sold it at Phillips on 8 June 1962 (Agnew’s records).
- Associated People & Organisations
- [?] Phillips, London, 8 June 1962
- [?] Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 13 March 1961
- [?] Christie's, London, London, 13 March 1961, lot 162
- Canon Francis Henry Dumville Smythe (1872/73 - 1966)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.