- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Abbey Valley Crucis, near Llangollen on the River Dee, North Wales
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 385mm,
- image length 540mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt 1788”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Abbey Valle Crucis / near Llangollen on the river Dee / North Wales. / drawn by Francis Towne. 1788”
- Object Type
Commissioned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, 5th Bt (1752–1794), and descended through his family until being offered for sale by Sir Richard Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1906–1990), at Sotheby’s on 21 November 1968, lot 25 (bidding reached £1100), and sold at Sotheby’s on 19 March 1981, lot 108, to the current owner, the National Library of Wales (PE1287).
- Associated People & Organisations
- National Library of Wales, Cardiff, 19 March 1981, PE1287
- Sotheby's, London, London, 19 March 1981, lot 108
- Sotheby's, London, London, 21 November 1968, lot 25
- Sir Richard Thomas Acland (1906 - 1990)
- Lady Henrietta Anne Acland (née Hoare) (1765 - 1841)
- Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (1752 - 1794), Exwick, Exeter, 1788
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 122
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.