- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- ca. 1793
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- sheet, verso
- “Alphington” and “1793”
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Agnew's records; Paul Opp
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP239) and in 1921 gave it to their nephew Philip Merivale (1886–1946). The drawing was subsequently in the collection of Mrs J. MacBrien, Philip Merivale’s daughter née Rosamund Merivale (b.1912), but is otherwise untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Rosamund MacBrien (née Merivale, later Young) (1912)
- Philip Merivale (1886 - 1946), 1921
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP239
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP239
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.