- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Alpine River
- ca. 1781
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum, scratching out
- image height 288mm,
- image length 468mm
- mounted by the artist
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.2 [cut off at edge; a second digit is present, but illegible]”
- Bury (in 1962) wrote: “Signature F Towne is partly erased but still just legible”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination (image); Bury 1962
Untraced until bought by Iolo Anuerin Williams (1890–1962) for £10 by 1929. It remains in a private collection.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Iolo Anuerin Williams (1890 - 1962), 1929, GBP 10
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 99 or 117 as 'Near the Source of the Rhine'
- unidentified exhibition, 1929
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 149
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.