- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Ambleside, taken behind the Inn
- Pencil, pen and black and grey inks, watercolour, gum
- image height 157mm,
- image length 236mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt. 1786 / No.22”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.22 / Ambleside. taken behind the Inn head of the Lake of Windermere. Westmoreland / drawn on the spot by Francis Towne / [“August 14th. 1786” scratched out] / London / [“Leicester Square / July 6th. 17. . .” scratched out]. / Evening light from the / right hand 7 O Clock”
- Object Type
Owned by Francis Alexander Gustavus Skardon Douglas (active 1927, d.1957), a descendant of John White Abbott, who sold it on 3 September 1946 to Agnew’s (no.4751), from whom it was bought on 2 May 1947 for £40 by the present owner, Bristol Museum and Art Gallery (Inv. K.1684/Acc. 26/1947).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, Bristol, 2 May 1947, GBP 40, Inv. K.1684/Acc. 26/1947
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 2 May 1947, no.4751
- Francis Alexander Gustavus Skardon Douglas (active 1927 - 1957)
- John White Abbott (1763 - 1851)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 67 as 'Ambleside', 72, as 'Part of Ambleside', or 75, 83 or 91 as 'At Ambleside'
- unidentified exhibition or display, 1966
- unidentified exhibition, 1974
- Autumn unidentified exhibition, Bristol, 1976
- unidentified exhibition or display, 1977
- unidentified exhibition, 1983
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 137
- Peter Bicknell, The picturesque secenery of the Lake District, St Paul's Bibliographies: Winchester, 1990, p. 189
- 1 Bicknell 1990, p.189.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.