- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Oil on canvas
- image height 340mm,
- image length 490mm
- canvas, recto
- signed and dated “1784”
- canvas, verso
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Spink records; Witt Library (image)
Commissioned by James Curtis in 1784 and thereafter untraced until sold at Sotheby’s on 22 December 1971, lot 203, for £800 to Spink & Son, who sold it on 16 June 1972 to a UK art dealer for £1,485. In 1997 it was in a private collection, San Fransisco.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Spink & Son, London, London, 22 December 1971, GBP 800
- Sotheby's, London, London, 22 December 1971
- James Curtis, 1784
- Private Collection, San Francisco
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 58
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.