- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- At Low Wood looking across Lake Windermere
- Windermere, Near Low-Wood
- Lake and Mountain Scene
- ca. 1786/08
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image width 266mm,
- image length 381mm
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie’s records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP83). At an unknown date in or prior to 1938 it was sold to Squire Gallery for £8. By 1951 it was owned by Cecil Austin Wakeford (1899/1900–1973), who probably bought it at Squire Gallery in 1939, judging by information on the Spink & Son stock card. On 14 October 1976 it was bought by Spink & Son (it is not clear from whom), and on 25 April 1977 they sold it for £1,666 to “a UK art dealer”—presumably the Manning Gallery, where it was bought in May 1977 for £3,500 by John Byng Kenrick (1911–2002), whose heirs sold it at Christie’s on 5 June 2003, lot 81, for £7,170 including fees, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 5 June 2003, GBP 7170
- Christie's, London, London, 5 June 2003, lot 81
- John Byng Kenrick (1911 - 2002), May 1977, GBP 3500
- [?] Manning Gallery, 25 April 1977, GBP 1666
- Spink & Son, London, London, 14 October 1976
- Cecil Austin Wakeford, 1951
- Squire Gallery, GBP 8
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP83
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP83
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 81 or 82 as 'Windermere, Near Low-Wood'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 45
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.