- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- At Ullswater
- Ulswater, near Patterdale
- [one of] Two Swiss Scenes
- ca. 1786/08
- Pen and brown ink, watercolour, scratching out
- image width 95mm,
- image length 152mm
- mounted by the artist
- artist's mount, verso
- “At Ullswater”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Sotheby's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Mary Ann “Molly” Loveband (b.1865, alive in 1951) inherited the drawing in 1915 and her daughter Joyce Merivale Loveband (b.1895, alive in 1981) sold it at Sotheby’s on 16 July 1981, lot 94, for £3,200 to Anthony Reed, who owned it until 2005, when it was on sale at W/S Fine Art Ltd and later in 2005 at John Spink for £29,000.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- John Spink, London, 2005
- W S Fine Art, London, 2005
- Anthony Reed (20th century), London, 16 July 1981, GBP 3200
- Sotheby's, London, London, 16 July 1981, lot 94
- Joyce Merivale Loveband (1895)
- Mary Ann Loveband (1865 - alive in 1951), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 53 or 55 as 'Ulswater', or 54 as 'Ulswater, near Patterdale'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 56
- Francis Towne and his Friends, John Spink at Colnaghi, 2005, no. 7
- Watercolours and Drawings, W/S Fine Art Ltd Andrew Wyld, 2005, no. 8
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 150 as one of 'Two Swiss Scenes'
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.