- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Berry Pomeroy Castle in Devon
- ca. 1773 - 1780
- Pen and ink, watercolour, gum
- image height 305mm,
- image length 483mm
- two sheets
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.3 Berry Castle in the county of Devon, / The outline taken on the spot. / Francis Towne / Finished Oct 2nd, 1805”
- the final phrase 'Finished...' perhaps scratched out, as it was only revealed during cleaning of the drawing in the 1990s.
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and on 12 April 1940 it was sold by her sister Frances Ann Laura Solly (b.1858) to Agnew’s (no.3065; Bonham’s in 2012 cited an Agnew’s no.10173) for £20. On 24 June 1940 Professor John Malins (1915–1992) bought the drawing from Agnew’s for £35 and it descended through his family to a private collection in Montreal, Canada, from which it was sold at Bonham’s, London, on 12 July 2012, lot 3, for £22,500 including fees (estimate £5,000 to £7,000) to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Thomas Agnew & Sons
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923)
- Professor John Malins (1915 - 1992)
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Frances Ann Laura Solly (1858 - alive in 1932)
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 150
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 108
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 39
- 1 Oppé 1920, p.108.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.