- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- ca. 1786/08
- Pencil (?), pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image height 95mm,
- image length 155mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, verso
- “No 27[?]”
- in dark ink, indistinctly (though the paper)
- artist's mount, verso
- “Burrow Dale”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Mary Ann “Molly” Loveband (b.1865, alive in 1951) inherited the drawing in 1915 and her daughter Joyce Merivale Loveband (b.1895, alive in 1981) sold it at Sotheby’s on 16 July 1981, lot 93, for £3,400 to Leger Galleries, where it was bought by Dorothy Scharf (d.2004), who bequeathed it to the current owner, the Courtauld Institute of Art.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Courtauld Gallery, London, London, 2004, D.2007.DS.40
- Dorothy Scharf ( - 2004)
- Leger Galleries, London, 16 July 1981, GBP 3400
- Sotheby's, London, London, 16 July 1981, lot 93
- Joyce Merivale Loveband (1895)
- Mary Ann Loveband (1865 - alive in 1951), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 56 as 'Burrowdale', or 58 or (just possibly) 59 as 'The Grange at the head of Keswick Lake'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 55
- Exhibition of English Watercolours, Leger Galleries, 1981, no. 6
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 150 (as one of Two Swiss Scenes)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.