- Cockwood from the North Gate
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 250mm,
- image length 356mm
- in a contemporary mount (now cropped)
- artist's mount, verso
- “[. . .] Herman Merivale / [indistinct] who gave it to his affecte son A:F:Merivale. / View from the North Gate Cockwood.” and in another hand “Louisa Anne”
- Object Type
Given by the artist to his son Revd Alexander Frederick Merivale (1814–1841) and inherited by the artist’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, in May 1915 (BP169). Its subsequent ownership is unknown, although it was brought into Agnew’s for a valuation in 2002.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP169
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP169
- Revd Alexander Frederick Merivale (1814 - 1841)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.