- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Convent of S. Eframo Vecchio
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 324mm,
- image length 495mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “[“Francis Towne” scratched out] / del 1783”
- Object Type
- Convent of S. Eframo Vecchio, Victoria and Albert Museum
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Untraced until bought in 1922 by the present owner, the Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester (D.1922.28).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Manchester Museum & the Whitworth, University of Manchester, Manchester, 1922, D.1922.28
- Exhibition History
- Loan Exhibition of Water Colour Drawings from the Whitworth Art Gallery Manchester in Aid of the Funds of the Gallery, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1954, no. 20
- English Watercolours, 1750-1850, Norwich Castle Museum, 1955, no. 15
- T. D. Barlow, Twenty early English water-colour drawings in the Whitworth Art Gallery: Manchester, 1951, no. 7
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 79, 136
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.