- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Convent of S. Eframo Vecchio
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour, gum, scratching out
- image height 324mm,
- image length 471mm
- mounted by the artist, but now cut down in size
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / 1781. No.14”
- artist's mount, recto
- “S EFREMO VECCHIO AT NAPLES [partially obliterated]”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.14 / St. Efremo Vecchio at Naples / drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne / [“March 31st. 1781” scratched out] 1781”
- Object Type
The owner since 1904 has been the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (D.954-1904).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Victoria and Albert Museum
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 187 as 'St.Efremo Vecchio, at Naples'
- Paesaggio Napoletano nella Pittura Straniera, Palazzo Reale, Naples, 1962
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 79, 128
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 95
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 151
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.