- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Eagle Crag, Borrowdale
- View in Borrowdale of Eagle Crag and Rosthwaite
- ca. 1786/08
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour, on laid paper
- image height 213mm,
- image length 340mm
- mounted by the artist on laid paper watermarked 'WHATMAN'
- artist's mount, verso
- “Borrodale at [indistinct word] / [indistinct word] [Rock or Be]ck”
- in pencil, almost erased
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. On 17 February 1961 it was sold by a Mrs Merivale to Agnew’s (no.1129) with FT458, FT468, FT481, FT581. She was probably Josephine Merivale, wife of Dr Walter Herman Hodgson Merivale (ca. 1918–1971), and the drawing was probably inherited from his father (?Herman Walter Merivale, b.1898), who was given them by John Herman Merivale’s granddaughter, Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945). On 8 March 1961 Agnew’s sold it for £400 to Paul Mellon (1907–1999), who gave it to the current owner, the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven (B1977.14.6294; gift to Yale, December 1977).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, December 1977, B1977.14.6294
- Mr Paul Mellon (1907 - 1999), 8 March 1961, GBP 400
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 17 February 1961, no.1129
- [?] Josephine Merivale, 1961
- Dr Walter Herman Hodgson Merivale (ca. 1918 - 1971), 1961
- [?] Herman Walter Merivale (1898)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 78 as 'Eagle Cragg, Burrowdale'
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 122
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.