- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Edinburgh Castle & Calton Hill
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 172mm,
- image width 510mm
- two sheets
- sheet, verso
- “No.1 / Edinburgh Castle & Calton Hill / August 13h.1811 / Francis Towne”
- Part of
- 1811 Sketchbook
- Object Type
- (D 5326)
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. It descended to Merivale’s granddaughter Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale, d.1909) within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732, and thereafter within her family, until it was sold at Christie’s on 12 November 1991, lot 10, for £8,500 to Leger Galleries, from whom it was purchased by the current owner, the National Gallery of Scotland (D 5326).
- Associated People & Organisations
- National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh, D 5326
- Leger Galleries, London, 12 November 1991, GBP 8500
- Christie's, London, London, 12 November 1991, lot 10
- Janet Louisa Gibbs (née Merivale) (? - 1909)
Within a sketchbook containing FT715 to FT732.
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.