- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Elter Water
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image height 156mm,
- image length 477mm
- two sheets
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “Francis Towne / delt 1786”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Elter Water August 12th 1786 / light from the left hand / F.Towne. 19 / London / Leicester Square / 1790”
- Object Type
Untraced until sold by “A Gentleman” at Christie’s on 17 November 1981, lot 105, for £4,800 to Spink, where it was bought by the current owner, the Wordsworth Trust (WRD274289).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Wordsworth Trust, Dove Cottage, Grasmere, WRD274289
- Spink & Son, London, London, 17 November 1981, GBP 4800
- Christie's, London, London, 17 November 1981, lot 105
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 84 as 'Elter Water'
- The Discovery of the Lake District, Dove Cottage, 1982, no. 138
- English Watercolour Drawings Annual Exhibition 1982, Spink, 1982, no. 11
- The Discovery of the Lake District, Victoria & Albert Museum, 1984, no. 87
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 51
- Robert Upstone, Sketchbooks of the Romantics, Tiger Books International: London, 1993, pp. 140-141
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.