- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- From Rydal Hall Park
- View from Rydal Park
- ca. 1786/08
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour, gum
- image width 379mm,
- image length 268mm
- sheet, verso
- “From Rydal Hall Park / Light from the right hand afternoon”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Bridgeman Art Library (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (186-1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP158). In April 1930 Judith Merivale sold it for £20 to Norman Darnton Lupton (1875–1953) of Hyde Crook, Dorchester, Dorset. Agnes Lupton (1874–1950) and Norman Lupton bequeathed it to the current owner, Leeds City Art Gallery (13.203/53).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds, 1953, 13.203/53
- Norman Darnton Lupton (1875 - 1953), Dorchester, April 1930, GBP 20
- Agnes Lupton (1874 - 1950), Dorchester, April 1930, GBP 20
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP158
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP158
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Watercolours and Drawings from the City Art Gallery, Leeds, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1960, no. 47
- The Lupton Collection, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1972, no. 75
- The Discovery of the Lake District, Victoria & Albert Museum, 1984, no. 9
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, p. 12
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 16, 45, 132
- 1 B. T. Pouncey after J. Farington, View from Rydal Looking towards Windermere, ca. 1789 (Wordsworth Trust).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.