- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- From the Palatine Hill
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 317mm,
- image length 472mm
- laid paper with a fleur de lis watermark and a vertical crease down its centre
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "J WHATMAN"
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne. delt. Rome / Novr 20. 1780. No.13.”
- in black ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.13. / From Mount Palatine. from 12 O Clock till 2. / Rome. Francis Towne. delt. 1781”
- the year inscribed in dark brown ink, the rest in brown ink
- in brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White (1744–1825) of Exeter, who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.19).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 173 as 'From the Palatine Mount'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- British Landscape Watercolours 1600-1860 at the British Museum, British Museum, 1985, no. 32
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 124
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 56
- Andrew Wilton and Annie Lyles, The Great Age of British Watercolours, Royal Academy of Arts: London, 1993, fig. 21
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.