- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Going out from the Porta Pia, looking towards the Sabine Mountains
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, blue/green and grey washes
- image width 203mm,
- image length 267mm
- paper watermarked with a fleur de lis design within a shield and the letters "GR"
- sheet, verso
- “Rome, / Going from the Port of Pia, / looking towards the Sabine / mountains drawn / on the Spot 1781 / Francis Towne delt.”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP3). The Barton Place catalogue contains no record of its sale, so it may have been retained until Judith Merivale’s death. On 3 August 1945 Judith Merivale sold it to Agnew’s (no.4198) for £30 with FT604, FT612, FT614. Betweeen 1945 and 1950 it was acquired by Sir William Worsley, Bt (1890–1973); according to Christie’s in 2013, Worsley purchased it in November 1945 for 65 guineas. The drawing was sold by the estate of Sir Marcus Worsley, his son, on 2 July 2013, lot 34, for £10,000.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 2 July 2013, GBP 10000
- Christie's, London, London, 2 July 2013, lot 34
- Sir William Worsley (1890 - 1973), November 1945, 65 guineas
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 3 August 1945, GBP 30, no.4198
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP3
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP3
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Watercolours by Francis Towne, City Art Gallery, 1950, no. 17
- English Watercolours from Four Yorkshire Houses 1660-1860, Scarborough Art Gallery, 1950, no. 12
- Three Centuries of British Water-colours, Arts Council, 1951, no. 191
- Early English Water Colours, Leeds City Art Gallery, 8 October 1958 to 23 November 1958, no. 100
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 141
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.