Description
Creator
Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
Title(s)
  • Grange at the Head of Derwent Water
Date
1786/08
Medium
Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour, scratching out
Dimensions
  • image height 98mm,
  • image length 156mm
Mount
mounted by the artist on card measuring 184 x 242 mm
Inscription
  • sheet, recto, lower right
  • “F.Towne / 1786”
  • in thin black ink
Inscription
  • artist's mount, verso
  • “No 29 The Grange at the Head / of Keswick Lake”
  • in thick brown ink
Object Type
Watercolour

Collection
Catalogue Number
FT502
Description Sources
Examination; Museum records (image)

Provenance

Presumably bought from the artist by Arthur Harington Champernowne (1768–1819), whose great-great-granddaughter Katharine Iris Paull of Chichester sold it at Sotheby’s on 30 July 1952, lot 9, for £40 to Agnew’s (no.6964), who bought it on behalf of Captain Vivian Bulkeley-Johnson (1890/1891–1968) of The Mount, Oxfordshire. By 1972 it was the property of The Mount Trust Collection, whose administrators sold it at Christie’s on 14 November 1972, lot 95, for £3,150 to Baskett & Day on behalf of Paul Mellon (1907–1999), who gave it to the current owner, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven (B1975.4.962; gift to Yale, December 1975).

Associated People & Organisations

Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, December 1975, B1975.4.962
Mr Paul Mellon (1907 - 1999), London, 14 November 1972
Christie's, London, London, 14 November 1972, GBP 3150, lot 95
Captain Vivian Bulkeley-Johnson (1890/91 - 1968), 30 July 1952
Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 30 July 1952, no.6964
Bought on behalf of Captain Vivian Bulkeley-Johnson
Sotheby's, London, London, 30 July 1952, GBP 40, lot 9
Katharine Iris Paull, 29 July 1952
[?] Arthur Harington Champernowne (1768 - 1819)
Exhibition History
[?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 58 or 59 as 'The Grange at the head of Keswick Lake'
Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 55

Comment

In the eighteenth century Derwent Water was sometimes known as Keswick Lake. Grange was a village a little south of the lake, a few hundred yards north of the Bowder Stone (FT509, FT510). Although Towne’s viewpoint is almost identical to FT501, the profile of mountains is quite different, here crowding the small village buildings. As in FT501, Towne has ignored the two bridges that give access to the village.

by Richard Stephens

Revisions & Feedback

The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.

Please help us to improve this catalogue


If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.