- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- image height 305mm,
- image length 441mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “Francis Towne / delt 1787”
- artist's mount, verso
- “A view of Grasmere-water. Drawn by Francis Towne 1787”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Bury 1962; Witt Library (image)
Untraced until sold by the Polak Gallery to the Fine Art Society (no.7610) on 26 November 1962 for £820. The Fine Art Society sold it in ca. 1963 to Cecil Francis Joseph Beausire of Liverpool (1898–1972), whereafter it is untraced. The Witt Library card states that this work was in the collection of Sir Wathen Waller, Bt, perhaps Sir Wathen Arthur Waller, 5th Bt of Warwick (1881–1947), who had a sale at Sotheby’s in 1921; or perhaps his ancestor Sir Jonathan Wathen Waller, 1st Bt (1769–1853), George III’s Nonconformist eye surgeon.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Cecil Francis Joseph Beausire (1898 - 1972), 1963
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 26 November 1962, GBP 820, no.7610
- Polak Gallery, 26 November 1962
- [?] Sir Jonathan Wathen Waller (1881 - 1947)
- [?] Sir Jonathan Wathen Waller (1769 - 1853)
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 46
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.