- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Great Fulford
- Pencil, pen and black ink
- image height 275mm,
- image length 488mm
- paper has a vertical crease mark down the centre
- "August 8 1776"
- Object Type
- Outline only
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White (1744–1825) of Exeter, on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing ca. 1915. It was acquired on 30 September 1935, lot 29, for £1 8s. 6d. (with FT055, FT146, FT564) by Paul Oppé (1878–1957). Oppé’s granddaughter sold it in 1996 with the rest of Paul Oppé’s collection to the present owner, the Tate Gallery, London (T08553).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923)
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957)
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 5
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 5
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 148
- 1 'Benjamin Donn, A Map of the County of Devon, Devon and Cornwall Record Society and the University of Exeter: Exeter 1965, plate 6b
- 2 The alterations in both house and garden are visible in a print after Hubert Cornish: Great Fulford House, 1804 (West Country Studies Library, Exeter).
- 3 'Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p.41
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.