- Hagar and the Angel
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, brown and blue washes
- image height 252mm,
- image length 174mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt”
- in brown ink
- sheet, verso
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination (image); Barton Place catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in 1915 (BP262, Hagar, also engraving of Jos. Goupy signed F.Towne No.8). According to the Barton Place catalogue, it was on sale at Squire Gallery in February 1935 but it must have been returned unsold, as the drawing remained the property of the Merivale family, on whose behalf it was offered for sale by John Spink from 2007 onwards, until being offered for sale at Sotheby’s on 7 July 2011, lot 322 (a group with FT387 and FT561), where it did not sell. It was later offered at Chorley’s of Cheltenham on 10 November 2011, lot 46.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 10 November 2011
- Chorley's, Cheltenham, 10 November 2011, lot 46
- Sotheby's, London, London, 7 July 2011, lot 322
Offered as a group with FT387 and FT561. Unsold.
- John Spink, 2007
Offered for sale on behalf of the Merivale family by John Spink from 2007 onwards.
- Squire Gallery, London, February 1935
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP262
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP262
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.